2018 is an important year for Porsche. Now in their 70th year, Porsche has won both GT classes at Le Mans, and is experiencing an extremely high ebb of enthusiasm for the brand. Not bad for a septuagenarian. In anticipation of Rennsport Reunion VI, which takes place at Laguna Seca in September, Porsche is releasing a special Anniversary edition timepiece. Porsche Design's newest chronotimer will be a limited run of 70 pieces to commemorate the important anniversary. The new piece is now available for presale.
The new timepiece is designed to evoke Porsche Chronograph I, the first matte black chronograph from Porsche Design. Like Chronograph I the anniversary timepiece is finished in matte black. In both cases, this was done as an homage to the non-reflective instrument panels found in the cockpits of Porsche racing cars. The 42mm face is accented with red and white markers, which are reminiscent of a racetrack's red and white safety curbing.
Inside the Chronotimer
The chronotimer is housed in Porsche Design's unique titanium case with black titanium-carbide coating. This combination ensures lightweight and durability, hallmarks of all Porsche products. The movement is visible on the rear of the piece through a sapphire case back. The piece bears the Rennsport Reunion logo at the three o'clock position on the forward face. The date window has been relocated to the four o'clock position. A seconds counter is positioned at nine o'clock, with a 30-minute counter at twelve o'clock and a 12 hour counter at six o'clock
The chronograph caliber ETA Valjoux 7750 movement is equipped with a Rotor Energy-optimized winding system with a Porsche Design Icon rotor. The movement operates at 4hz with 25 jewels, and has a power reserve of 48 hours. The Sapphire rear face carries the Rennsport reunion logo, and each piece in the series will be numbered. Preproduction watch 00/70 is featured in the marketing materials.
Carefully Chosen Materials
The strap is constructed with the same black Porsche leather used in Porsche interiors, and is bound with contrasting red yarn. A black titanium-carbide coated double-folding strap and integrated quick-change system are also equipped. Each piece will be delivered with a limited edition watch box with a numbered Rennsport Reunion plaque and booklet. The booklet tells the story of Rennsport Reunion, beginning with the first event at Lime Rock in 2001, as well as Porsche Design and the timepiece itself.
Per Porsche Design Group CEO Jan Becker; “With a heritage intrinsically linked to Porsche cars and motorsports, Porsche Design is honored to be named the official commemorative timepiece brand for the 2018 celebration. Delivering an exceptional timepiece was our goal, and I think we accomplished just that. We are eager to present it to future owners at this year’s celebration.”
The new timepiece on the Porsche Design website, with deliveries to begin at the Rennsport Reunion in September. This limited edition timepiece will retail for $6,850USD, and will be available for sale at Rennsport Reunion VI.
- Diameter: 42.00 mm
- Height: 14.62 mm
- Material: Titanium
- Finishing: Titanium black carbide coating/Glass bead-blasted
- Crown: Screw-down
- Glass: Sapphire crystal convex, scratch-proof and with sevenfold anti-glare properties on both sides
- Case back: Screw-down with tinted sapphire crystal
- Water-resistant: Up to 5 bar
- Black - minute, hour, small second at 9 o’clock, chronograph second hand, 30-minute counter at 12 o’clock,12-hour counter at 6 o’clock, date window at 4 o’clock, tachymeter scale
- Minute, hour, central second, date window 3 o’clock
- Black vehicle leather (calfskin) , red seams, inter-changeable strap system
- Titanium folding clasp with pusher, black titanium carbide coating, glass bead-blasted
- Caliber: Swiss chronograph caliber ETA Valjoux 7750
- Rotor: Porsche Design Icon Rotor
- Diameter: 30.00 mm
- Height: 7.90 mm
- Power reserve: 48 hours
- Frequency: 28.800 per hour [4Hz]
- Jewels: 25
- Limited to 70 units in Limited Edition Box including Minibooklet and metal badge