A little over three hours into the 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway Porsche is giving their fans a great show. However, with more than 20 + hours remaining it's a little too early to get excited or make predictions. Regardless, Porsche is far and away the dominant manufacturer in this race (with 15 race cars entered between the DP and GT Class).
As many of you know, Hurley Haywood came out of retirement to compete here at Daytona. To commemorate Hurley's return, and provide a view into Porsche's history at the Speedway, PCNA released this video a short time ago. Enjoy! Remember, if you're seeing this post in your email you may need to click on the title above to view the video on our site!
Facts and Figures about Hurley Haywood
- 62 years-old
- 37 Rolex 24 at Daytona events
- Five Rolex 24 overall wins a class win (the most overall wins of any racer)
- 18,800 laps completed, more than 67,550 miles of racing, more than two-and-a-half times around the globe
- Number of sets of tires used (estimated with DNFs, rain/fog, etc.): 1,100 provided by Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, and Hoosier - just slightly fewer than Continental is bringing for the entire field for the 2011 event
Facts about the Porsche 911-based race cars at the Rolex 24
- Porsche 911-based race car wins: 38 Overall and Class Victories
- First Porsche 911 Overall win: 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR - Haywood/Gregg
- Rolex 24 Porsche 911 overall and class-winning models: Porsche 911 Carrera RSR, Porsche 935, Porsche 911 GT3 R, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
- Four of Haywood's five overall wins were accomplished in Porsche 911-based race cars
Don't forget you can or watch for race updates and pictures you won't find here on the site
Related Porsche Posts
Listen to the Sounds of Porsches Racing in the Rolex 24 at Daytona
Facts and Figures about Porsche and the Rolex 24 at Daytona
We Drive the 2011 Porsche Turbo S and Live to Tell About It!