Okay, so maybe not the exact lyrics of the song, but you get the idea? How many of you are headed to the Monterey Peninsula (or are already there) for this week's Porsche festivities? A portion of the FlatSixes.com team was planning on attending the event starting this Thursday (yours truly). We had everything scheduled and planned out including some time behind the wheel of a new Panamera and a full week with a Boxster S driving the PCH. In addition to driving some great Porsches, we had planned on documenting and photographing all the Porsche goodness at The Quail, Laguna Seca, Pebble Beach, etc. Basically, anywhere we found Porsches (which will be all over the Peninsula) we were going to be there with our cameras. Unfortunately, a member of the team (Lucy, one of our dogs) became very sick and we have to cancel our trip.
So, here's my question to you. Would any of you attending be willing to send me pictures as you have the time? I'm specifically interested in pictures of the Porsche Zentrum (the picture above is of the Zentrum being prepared for the event), any of the numerous famous racing Porsches featured at Laguna Seca and anything else of interest. I will post the pictures in the new and will use them in a future post as well (proper credit and links to be provided of course). If interested, let me know by commenting below or using the page to get in touch.
The Zentrum is a specially built facility based on aspects of the new Porsche museum and the flagship dealerships from around the world. This free-standing building is built prominently on the grounds of the Quail Lodge and will showcase the new Panamera and much of the new technology to be found in today's Porsche sports cars. Here's a picture I was sent today of the Zentrum being made ready for prime time.
36th Annual Rolex Monterey Historics
As the featured marque of this year's event, Porsche is expecting more than 450 historic race cars to be in attendance, racing and on display. In addition to these privately owned cars, four historicaly significant Porsche race cars will be on display from the Museum including:
- 1960 Porsche Type 718 Formula 2 racing car, which gave Porsche its first Formula 2 world title and was driven in 1961 by Californian Dan Gurney, is making its North American debut.
- 1962 Porsche Type 804 Formula 1 racer, the car that brought Dan Gurney to his win that year in the French Grand Prix. This car has not been in North America since the 1960s.
- 1962 Porsche Type 718 W-RS 8-cylinder Spyder, in which Gurney and Joakim Bonnier finished second at the Targa Florio in 1961, has also not been in North America for more than 40 years. In the 1960s, it was raced in the U.S. by Gurney, Jo Bonnier and Phil Hill.
The Porsche GT1 98LM, which helped Porsche finish 1-2 at the 1998 24-hours of Le Mans event.
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Porsche is displaying the Panamera at the legendary Lodge at Pebble Beach and for the second time in the history of the Concours, organizers have created a Porsche class to include racing legends from the 1950s through the 1980s on display at the famed 18th fairway at the Pebble Beach Golf Links. Notable Porsches to be on display at Pebble Beach to include:
- 356 driven by Manfredo Lippman in the 1953 Carrera Panamericana.
- 917/10 driven by John Fitzpatrick in the German Interseries.
- The Porsche 917K Steve McQueen drove in the movie Le Mans
- 962C that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1987
[Source: PCNA, 993C4S]